Kapalua Village Trails
If you're a local looking for a great place to exercise, or a visitor seeking a local hike, the Kapalua Village Trails offer an excellent opportunity to escape the hustle of West Maui; and offers both some interesting island perspectives along with beautiful mountain to ocean views
Village Trails Location
The Kapalua Village Trails start at the Kapalua Adventure Center, which is just off Office Road in Kapalua.
Driving North from Kaanapali on the Honoapiilani Highway, look for Office Road to the left as you crest the hill past the Napili area. From there and less than a quarter mile down Office Road on the right, you'll see the Kapalua Adventure Center, and Village Road. Take a right on Village Road and either park to the right, in the Kapalua Adventure Center parking area; or the to the left, in the overflow parking behind Sansei Restaurant.
Trail Head & Parking
Kapalua Village Trails Hikes
There are two main Kapalua Village Trails hikes, The Cardio Loop and The Lake Loop,
however there are a maze of additional options from these two main trails, so plan before you go; especially if it's you're first venture.
Cardio Loop w/ Duck Pond
Moderate to Difficult
Ave Hiking Time:
45 - 55 min
Most locals might refer to this as "Cardio Hill", and only take the SW side of the loop directly up and back. But to take the true Cardio Loop, either take the left side tunnel at the beginning of the trails and head directly up the hill, or take a quick left after the right side tunnel, and then an additional quick right to start the Cardio Loop trail. (if you don't take a quick right, you'll end up on the Lake Loop)
The NE side of the loop can be overgrown sometimes, as other parts of the Kapalua Village Trails at times can be. As a result many locals will go directly up the hill, taking the right side tunnel at the bottom and straight up, and then back down avoiding the outer loop section.
On this hike, we also include the "w/ Duck Pond". Continuing on at the top of the Cardio Loop trail, up the hill to the Duck Pond. Which is a strenuous addition up the final section of the trail, adding an additional mile or so to the trek; but well worth it.
Key Direction Points:
- Firstly, when you take the right or left tunnels at the bottom of the trailhead, you'll want to take a quick left after you exit them and then your first right up the hill.
- Secondly, coming down from the duckpond, at the top of the traditional Cardio Loop without going up to the Duck Pond, you'll see some abandoned golf buildings. Just below them there will be a choice to go left or right. Continue on the path to the right to make your way down the Cardio Loop. Alternatively if you wish to take the outer and longer Lake Loop at this point, take the path to the left.
- And thirdly, staying on the Cardio Loop and half way down the hill there will be another junction with the option to go left or right. You'll recognize this intersection by the sole palm tree straight ahead. Go right to continue down the Cardio Loop trail. Alternatively if you go left, this will intersect you with the Lake Loop; near highway 30 and opposite the start of Office Rd.
Moderate to Difficult
Ave Hiking Time:
60 - 90 min
The Lake Loop provides an incredible workout and varied hike that carries around the entire Kapalua Village Trails area. Some might suggest that the Lake Loop is slightly easier as it meanders up the hill compared with going straight up. However make no mistake, the Lake Loop goes further up the hill, is near twice as long and certainly includes some demanding hills along the way; especially the last one up to the Duck Pond.
The entire Lake Loop is generally very well maintained and easy to travel. As you start up the hill on the NW side of the trail, keep your eyes open as it's a great spot to many of the local butterflies the Kapalua Community is known for.
Key Direction Points:
- Firstly and regardless if you take the right or left tunnels at the bottom of the trailhead, you'll want to take a quick left as you exit them and then take your second right up the hill. The first left up the hill is the start of the Cardio Loop and if you continue straight you'll head down toward the bottom of the Mahana Ridge Trail.
- Secondly, coming down from the duckpond you'll connect with the junction of the Cardio Loop, which comes up from the right. There will be some abandoned golf buildings to your left and just below them there will be a choice to go either left or right. Continue on the path to the left to continue with the Lake Loop. Alternatively if you wish to take a shortcut down, the path to the right continues down the Cardio Loop trail.
- Thirdly, as you make your way around the lower SW corner of the Lake Loop, there is an option to take a short cut across an overgrown dirt road, which leads back to the trail, intersecting by highway 30 and across from Office Road (see dotted line on the map). Alternatively, if you stay on the trail to the right, it continues back up the hill for a bit and then back down to the same point. The longer version is represented in our trail description.
Kapalua Village Trails Duck Pond
The reward at the top of the Kapalua Village Trails, is a picturesque duck pond, surrounded by towering cook island pines. It's the perfect place to take a mid-hike break, say hello to the friendly ducks, and relax for a moment in the shade.
Whether you take the Cardio Loop w/ Duck Pond or the Lake Loop, both require a bit of a strenuous uphill leading to the top.
What to feed the ducks:
- Rice (cooked or uncooked)
- Lettuce, Greens and Vegetable Trimmings
What NOT to feed the ducks:
- Chips and Crackers
Kapalua Village Trails Key Tips:
- Hike with a partner.
- Bring water or hydrate well.
- Be prepared. Rain may hit at any time.
- Late afternoon to sunset views are amazing.
- Mid afternoon, with no wind, can be hot and humid.
- Kapalua Butterflies
- Wild Pigs
- Passion Fruit
- Wild Peppercorns
- Dragon Fruit Vines
- Old Machinery
- Areas of loose gravel and sand
- Trail can be slippery when wet
- No Off Leash Dogs
- No Smoking
- No Restroom Facilities
- No Bikes On Trail
The Kapalua Village Golf Course
Looking closely at the Kapalua Village Trails hiking map, you can see that you're actually walking along what was formerly known as the Kapalua Village Golf Course.
Now overgrown and almost hard to make out where the long fairways used to stretch into beautiful greens, however you can actually get a hint of where the course used to be, based on the yard markers that were carefully placed along the trails. See a 150 marker? Look to the left or right of the trail and somewhere 150 yards ahead, was the hole.
Kapalua Resort Association: 808-665-3747
Kapalua Resort Association Website: www.kapalua.com
The next time you are near or around Kapalua and looking for a breath of fresh air, head up the hills to the Kapalua Village Trails. Please remember to contact Kimberly to join you on your walk, who is the Owner and principal broker of Living Maui Real Estate. Kimberly is here to assist with relocation, market statistics, or transitions of your real estate portfolio.
Featured Living Maui Real Estate Properties
No properties found.
Join Us For More of the Living Maui Lifestyle.
Send us your name and email and we'll send you our bi-monthly email updates, which features everything our beautiful island of Maui has to offer!